I have always enjoyed southern tomato gravy, though I must admit, it is very difficult to find someone that makes it from scratch and not from a can. Mostly it can come out tasting like tomato soup. With this tomato gravy, that’s not the case. I did everything from scratch, even the biscuits.
Ingredients for homemade tomato gravy from scratch:
4 tablespoons bacon drippings (I used olive oil, you could also use butter)
4 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 garlic cloves
2 cups room temperature milk (I used whole milk)
6 or so ripe tomatoes, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1) Heat bacon drippings, butter, or oil in a pan on medium heat
2) Add flour and whisk continuously until lightly browned (It will look somewhat brown to you from the beginning if you use olive oil or bacon drippings).
3) Add milk, blend, and bring to a boil
4) Add salt, pepper, and garlic
5) Reduce heat, add diced tomatoes
6) Cook until the tomatoes and the flour mixture blend together and the tomatoes are softened.
7) Serve hot on homemade southern biscuits.